
Jobe Bellingham sends four-word message as Kristjaan Speakman exit confirmed at Sunderland
Jobe Bellingham has described Kristjaan Speakman as a “legend” after the Sunderland sporting director’s sudden exit.
Speakman joined Sunderland in December 2020 and oversaw three victories at Wembley, including two play-off final wins and the EFL Trophy.
The Stadium of Light outfit said that with their Premier League status restored and a strengthened football leadership structure in place, the board has made the decision to continue without Speakman.
Now, Borussia Dortmund star Bellingham, who played at Sunderland between 2023 and 2025, has paid tribute to his former sporting director.
Jobe Bellingham praises Kristjaan Speakman after Sunderland departure
When Speakman’s exit was announced on Friday, the Mackems said he was a key figure during one of the most significant periods in Sunderland’s recent history.
He also led a “comprehensive rebuild” of Sunderland’s football operations, while restoring its competitive momentum.
Owner Kyril Louis-Dreyfus said: “We are grateful for Kristjaan’s commitment and professionalism and wish him every success for the future.”
Now, on Instagram, Bellingham, who was brought to Sunderland by Speakman, has wished him all the best and called him a “legend”.

Bellingham posted a photo of them together from when the midfielder collected his EFL Championship Young Player of the Season Award last May.
On Friday afternoon, Speakman took to X to say representing Sunderland over the last five years or so had been an “honour of a lifetime”.
He added, “It’s been a truly humbling experience to work alongside so many talented people. To all the players and staff, past and present, thank you for believing in our shared vision.
“The greatest asset this club has is its fans, and it’s been a pleasure sharing some incredible memories with you all.”
- Read more: ‘Truly humbling’ – Kristjaan Speakman shares heartfelt statement as shock Sunderland exit announced
What comes next for Sunderland after Speakman’s exit?
When Speakman’s departure was confirmed, Sunderland announced that Director of Football Florent Ghisolfi would continue to lead the Black Cats’ sporting programme after assuming control of all football operations last July.
Ghisolfi fronted Sunderland’s charge in the transfer market as they spent around £160million on players last summer in their bid to stay in the Premier League following their Championship promotion.
Although Speakman made some excellent signings during his time at the club, including Bellingham, Dan Ballard, and Trai Hume, his departure highlights Sunderland’s trajectory.
Namely, that Sunderland are a team on the up and with progress, there are always casualties. In that case, it seems to have been Speakman.
Louis-Dreyfus said that Sunderland’s phase of redevelopment under Speakman is now complete, and in the future, they will look to build from that position of “strength with clarity of direction and sustained progress”.
It remains to be seen if a new face will replace him or if Ghisolfi will suffice in his current role.
For more expert analysis on Sunderland, head over to Football Insider for the latest news.